Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My shower obsession

Not so long ago I found myself more than a little keen on keeping the showerscreen clean, to the point where I actually enjoyed washing it with items (6), the showerscreen sponge cleaner, and (24), the Shower Power Amazing Bathroom Cleaner.

I put this down to a mild dose of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, probably brought about by my wife having cancer for the second time. (She's fine now, thanks for asking.) She suggested I try transferring my concern about the showerscreen to the toilet, and get obsessive about cleaning that, too. I had to explain to her patiently that I don't think it works like that, though I'd give it a go. And actually, you can redirect your OCD if you wish - or I can, anyway. You know how going for a run is always such a pain, but when you get going it's fine? Or how tidying up is a chore, but then you get into it and you're off and running (hang on I'm getting things confused now). Well, cleaning a shower or cleaning a toilet is like that. Not that I'm an expert or anything: I try not to let the feeling overtake me too much.

Usually I like to clean the showerscreens while I'm showering, which involves aiming the showerhead at the screens to rinse them, swivelling the head, raising the arm, increasing the waterflow so that it reaches far enough to hit near the top of the screen and flow down. This complicated combination requires lots of contortion and making the shower point in directions it doesn't want to, like directing a recalcitrant shopping trolley or reversing a trailer. But wetter.

I don't think, what with the shaving and the showerscreen cleaning, I manage to get in and out in three minutes, somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Steve I don't believe for a minute (or indeed three) that you can clean a family sized shower screen and complete the daily wash requirements together with Circus Ozesqe contortions in under the four minute egg timer. However, do keep up the fine work. This is my first blog ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter, and congratulations: long time listener (to my blather), first time caller. Wave to the camera - which, fortunately, is not installed in my shower (to the very best of my knowledge).

    ReplyDelete